Thursday, February 6, 2014

the BIG news

Where to begin…How about we start in January of 2012.

I had a great job, with good pay, and lots of freedom, and then I was laid off. What followed next was a three and a half month job search, which led me back to Phoenix and working with Chase.

I am, of course, excited to be back “Home.” In my eyes life is great! I am able to hang out with my oldest buddy Kris, going to Phoenix Comicon with Scott, seeing movies with Greg, and of course my good friend Robby started work as the Youth Pastor at Desert Springs Community Church in Goodyear. Despite the long drive, I started helping Robby in the youth group. I felt I had made the best decision in the world and nothing could be better!

Fast Forward to December 2013…I am definitely the exact opposite of how I felt. I was questioning if I made the right decision to move back to Arizona. Major changes happened at work, including a manager who is not fun or pleasant to be around. I had been looking for a new job since April, with ZERO results. I cannot tell you how many applications/resumes I had filled/sent out. Absolutely nothing happened, only one interview, and hundreds of “Thank you for applying, but blah blah blah blah…” Sure, I am back with great friends, I am serving the Lord through the youth group, I have a discipleship group with three awesome High Schoolers, and my annual Phoenix Comicon adventure with Scott is a blast, but I still felt empty…like something is missing or I had screwed everything up moving back to Arizona; I was not sure, but I did not feel right!
By the end of December I felt moved to make changes in my life. There were areas in my life, which I had let, go unchecked and I was feeling the effects even more than usual. With the help of my oldest friend Kris and new friend Jeff they were able to come along side me and now keep me in check.

One of the new changes in my life was my commitment to read through the Bible in a year. With reading the Bible I started praying more. With praying more this neat thing happened, I started to feel the Lord move in me like I have never felt before and I started to listen (I have been alive for almost 34 years, 23 years of which I have been a Christian, and I believe I have never really asked God, “Hey God, what…?”).

On January 15th around 3am myself, Robby, Erin, James, and two vans full of college kids and a few high schoolers headed out on our cross country-ish drive to Passion 2014 in Atlanta, GA. If you do not know what Passion is, it is a weekend conference aimed at College aged kids. Louie Giglio leads the conference. He will have other speakers there and several different bands lead worship ( http://268generation.com/passion2014/ ).

Typically when I go on these trips, I am there to make sure the kids stay in line, drive the vans, help with whatever needs to help, and if I get something out of the trip that is an added bonus.

As Passion started I knew right away God was speaking to me, and being at the Conference was going to be much more than just a van driver/leader. As the weekend progressed I asked God, “What do you want me to do?” “What do you have planned for my life?” – I asked and HE answered…

As Louie was wrapping the final day, I could tell he was leading up to have you stand if you felt the Lord move you in some way. I did not know what he was going to ask, but I could tell he was going that direction. I had a good idea of what the Lord was telling me to do, and sure enough Louie asked those to stand if the Lord was leading you in a direction, so I stood…

…The big news…

The Lord has called me into full time ministry in the mission field. I do believe I have been called to serve in Germany and also the surrounding countries (Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, etc…).

There is a long road ahead of me and I am excited for what the Lord will be doing.
My next steps will be:

1. Meeting with Leaders in my church
2. Speaking with a guy from our church who is currently in Germany serving
3. Meeting with some other contacts who have ties with Mission Organizations
4. Learning German
5. Taking a trip to Germany (either late this year or early next year)
6. Lots of Prayer!

To wrap up, I am not sure if moving back to Arizona was the right call or not, but it does not matter. If the Lord wants something to happen, there is nothing I, or anyone else, can do to stop it!

For the first time in my life I feel a real drive and purpose, and I am extremely excited seeing how the Lord uses me and makes all this work!

I could use any and all prayer!

Psalm 16
English Standard Version (ESV)

A Miktam of David.

1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.
5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
7 I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment